Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The danger of the panoply of war...

Okay, it's obvious, but sometimes I forget...
When I first read "The Lord of the Rings", the battles were a distraction from the main story, which was, of course, Frodo and Sam's torturous way of the Ring. Bellicose though I am, the true thrust of the story was so clear---I wanted to rush past the plot lines related to Gondor and Rohann...But with successive readings, and especially after numerous viewings of Peter Jackson's wonderful screen adaptation which, for obvious reasons, makes more of the battles and less of the suffering, I began to pore over Helm's Deep and Pellinore Field, and most of all the glorious charge of the Rohirrim against the Orcs---so symbolic, beauty and courage and virtue against complete evil---and I would almost lose sight of Frodo and Sam and what they did to save Middle Earth...And an entire generation of LotR fans will never really prioritize as they should, and I know it---for that is what they do with 20th and 21st Century History as well...and with the entire history of The Church and of Christendom. We are so frail and so easily distracted by what is pretty and exciting...

No comments: